Suggest treatment for fluid discharge from breast

Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I am 69 and have this fluid coming out of my nipples. It is not a clean fluid so what should I do
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Abnormal discharge from the nipple

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
As you mentioned that recently ( few days ago ) you noticed a discharge from nipple. These are possibilities , these include:
The discharge occurs from one of lactiferous ducts.
1 Duct Ectasia=A dilatation of the major ducts of the breast is a common cause of a discharge from the nipple in old-aged women. The discharge contains debris and lipoid and may be creamy or colored green or brown( as may be in your case, as you stated that FLUID is not clean).
There is an associated periductal mastitis.
This condition is BENIGN but may be mistaken for either cancer or an abscess.
Management ; Local removal of ducts and affected segment of breast.
2 Since you din't mention the type of discharge :A black or green discharge may be due to altered blood from the foregoing , but is much more frequently an accompaniment of the retention cysts of fibroadenosis .
3 A blood-stained discharge is pathognomonic of duct PAPILLOMA or duct CARCINOMA . The former condition is more common than latter and BENIGN.
Consult a surgeon and get in physical examination as well mammography as inspection ( physical ) is important.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further any question I will reply in follow up.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 9 hours later
thank you so very much
the liquid is not green or black , but not clear. It is more of a yellow color.
I had sarcoidosis and they told me that things will come up but to make sure that I let the dr know this. I did not tell you , but your answer gave me peace of mind. It is not easy growing old, I get lots of cysts all over my body when I am stress and worried about my nipplles. I am a 4 yr. widow and just now found someone to be with and this happens.
Many thanks for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My pleasure

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX.
It is my pleasure that you got PEACE OF MIND .
Don't take any stress and tension .
Further any problem I will reply happily.
Good luck for most healthy life.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari