Suggest treatment for fluctuation BP after angioplasty

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 74 yrs old, and have done angioplasty in the year 2012. Recently for last 8 to 10 days my blood pressure is fluctuating from 160 to 185 systolic, diastolic is varying between 72 to 80. I have consulted a cardiologist who has prescribed me medicines as, 1tab Amlong A 5mg, 1tab Korandil 5mg in the morning after breakfast, and 1tab of 20mg omnegest and 1tab of Korandil 5mg after supper. But my BP still fluctuates, XXXXXXX in the morning and goes down later part of the to @ 160 to 165.
What should I do and what r the reasons
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Abnormal sleeping pattern.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Looking at the clinical history and query, my opinion is as follows:
1. Blood pressure at your age should be less then 140 systolic and less than 90 diastolic.
2. Some amount of fluctuation is common. However, systolic blood pressure is moderately raised at present.
3. Blood pressure fluctuations are usually common in abnormal sleeping pattern, stress, anxiety, infections or diseases and medications.
4. At present your medication is adequate, and it will take time to come down. Most importantly, reduce stress and anxiety. Have a good and regular sleep. Atleast 9 hours in night is very important. Abnormal sleeping patterns can cause these.
5. In future, try to maintain regular physical activity along with fiber rich diet. Salt and fat restriction should be there also.

Present fluctuation especially if more in the morning, points towards abnormal sleep pattern or stress.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Are there any chances of sudden heart attack due to flu toons in blood pressure?
I am normally walk for @ 30 minutes a day but due to rainy season it has become irregular.my ECG is normal right now.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
At present, you are not at risk

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking again.
Fluctuations in blood pressure, usually do no increase incidence of heart attack.
At present, there is no chance of heart attack. Take rest, relax. Medication should be regular and concentrate on your diet.

Hope it helps.
Dr. Prakash HM
Follow up: Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 32 minutes later
thank you very much and i appreciate your reply and satified.
As advised binue with same medicine and would like contact you after a week in case if it is not fine with me.

however at our age how to expect the sleep of 8 to 9 hours? unless we take sedative tablets, which is not a good practice.

Are u from XXXXXXX and if we want u to consult you is it possible?

once thanks and regards,

XXXXXXX SXXX
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help you again.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for your kind words.

Do continue with the treatment and I expect blood pressure to be normal.

Sleeping is possible for 8-9 hours. Avoid getting involved in watching TV or on phone after 9 clock. Avoid distractions. Avoid heavy food or food with increased carbohydrates. Dim the lights. Practice it for few days, and in a week, you will get adjusted. Avoid getting up and watching tv or eating anything in between before six in morning. This should help you. Remember sleep is one of your treatment, so you should try to follow it like you take medications. Regularly.

Yes, I am from XXXXXXX Yes, you can consult me through health care magic.

You are welcome at ask any query in future.
I will be happy to help you again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari