Suggest treatment for fluctuating blood pressure

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my blood pressure has been running between 171/88 to 137/74 for the last week. I am 73 years old and have been taking 20mg of lisinopril and 25 mg of hctz for about 12 years. My blood pressure normally runs around 135-140/ 75-90. I check it only occasionally, but I have been checking it regularly for the last week. I am 5'9 and weigh about 205.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Modify drugs / go for life style changes

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Consult your Physician and get examined for any new development
Need to test kidney function, electrolytes, especially potassium

Reduce the dose of HCTZ – it is wiser to limit to 12.5 mg
You may add a third drug like amlodipine
You may up the dose of Lisinopril to 40 mg

Your BMI is 30.3 = OBESE [25 - 29.9 is overweight]
Weight is like bank account – reduces by withdrawing more (physical work) and/or deposit less (eat less).
Consult a dietician - reduce the quantity of your food and change the quality too.
You need regular exercise – 30 minutes a day / 5 days a week
There is no officially approved medicine without side effects.
Slow and steady reduction – 1 to 2 KG in a week, is generally safe.

Good luck
God bless you