Suggest treatment for flu and upper back pain

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I had the flu last week. I am better but my upper back has been hurting very badly for the past two days. I have difficulty standing up straight. Is this flu related?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's possible

Detailed Answer:

influenza (flu) may indeed cause pain all over the body including the upper back. If the pain is not localized to a certain muscle or dermatome then the flu sounds like a good explanation for the pain, although the worst symptoms are expected during the first few days of disease.

Pain restricted to a single dermatome may raise suspicion for nerve pain like in shingles for example. Pain elicited only with certain moves can be caused by muscular strain /sprain.

The drugs you've used should help with the symptoms.

Your doctor should be able to distinguish between various potential causes and advise you accordingly.

Kind Regards!