Suggest treatment for flu and fever after suffering from pneumonia

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have been around an elderly person who had pneumonia for extended periods. I recently had a flu and pneumonia shot when I had major spinal fusion surgery. I have been coughing with low-grade fever, chills, diarrhea, thick green mucous tinged with blood and vomiting for over one week. I have been taking over the counter meds and I lost my voice about 4 days ago. I am getting worse-- extremely fatigued with little appetite, sore throat, etc....
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Respiratory tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

From the history you have furnished it looks like you are suffering from a respiratory infection which is most likely to be bacterial in nature. Since it has been over a week it has to be treated with antibiotics.
Here is how you should go about it

1. I usually prescribe tab amox with clavulunate twice a day for 5 days. However Azithromycin once a day for 3 days is also a good option
2. Tab Levocetrizine morning and night will help you bring down cough and also help you bring back to voice
3. Keep yourself warm at all times
4. Have only warm food and beverages, avoid cold food and beverages
5. Avoid milk and milk products until you are better
6. Do lots of steam inhalations, atleast three times a day

Visit your doctor as soon as possible for a chest x ray and complete blood count to rule out pneumonia ( which requires treatment with Intravenous antibiotics)

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 52 minutes later
Thank you !
Last question. So I can have pneumonia although I had the pneumonia shot before my spinal fusion shot earlier this year ?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can have pneumonia

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back. Your question is often asked by patients who have received the flu shot. This vaccination only covers certain strains organisms and it is possible to get infected by the strains not covered by the vaccine.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T