Suggest treatment for floaters in the field of vision after injury

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: flashes in eye after injury, i went to ophthamologist on the second day of injury and i have been using anti inflammatory eye drops for last 4 weeks, last week i went to retina specialist to make sure there is no retina detachment he said there is no retina tear or detachment but these flashes are not going away ...i am experiencing these flashes 3 or 4 time in one hour
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Floaters due to injury, if things don't settle in a week a repeat retinal examination

Detailed Answer:

These can be because of floaters. Floaters are dark specks in the form of dots, circles, lines, flashes or cobwebs that seem to move across your field of vision. Floaters are small clumps of visible material within the vitreous. Usually they remain clumped but a major blow to eye can separate these small clumps into tiny particles which start floating across the vitreous.

These floating particle within the vitreous are seen as shadows in retina.The vitreous sometimes pulls on the retina. This may cause you to see flashing lights or lightning streaks, even though there aren't any such lights present. When the vitreous separates from the retina, you may see flashing lights once in a while, for a few weeks.

However if there is no retinal tear and retina is normal I would suggest you to wait for 1 more week. If the things don't improve a repeat retinal examination under properly dilated eye should be done.

Wait and watch is the only policy at present.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj