Suggest treatment for floaters and blind spots in vision

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Sat, 6 Dec 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello there, for most of 2014 I have had little floaters that look like minature shooting Stars that have flashing lights inside of them. There's seems to be maybe 50-100 of them zapping around when I get an episode. Oddly this all stopped about a month ago. Also if I smile to hard, cough, sneeze, or squint my eyes too hard I get a dark spot like a blind spot that appears from the lower outside parts of my eyes that grows the more pressure that is put. Are my retinas detaching, do I have menreiners disease? (I would also like to say that I've taken many drugs in the past and have had powerful lights put almost completely up against my eyes for years; this all stopped beginning of 2014 a few months before all the symptoms).
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to rule out vitreous degenerations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I am Dr.DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

I reviewed your history. It seems from the history that you are having floaters and dark spots which appear on coughing or sneezing....
These symptoms are usually because of opacities in the vitreous.
The common things that needs to be ruled out are posterior vitreous detachment and vitreous degenerations. These are usually benign conditions and generally will not cause any harm and vision loss hence no need to worry.
However these vitreous problems can be associated with retinal tears or retinal thinning hence examination of the retina is also compulsory as these can predispose to retinal detachment.
Hence this requires examination by a ophthalmologist by a procedure called as indirect ophthalmoscopy to examine the vitreous and the retina.

Meniere's disease usually presents with tinnitus and dizziness and this does not look like it.

Hence I advice you to consult your ophthalmologist for examination by indirect ophthalmoscopy and do get back to me with the examination reports so that I can advice you more accurately.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju