Suggest treatment for flea bites on the body

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Infections
Question: I have lots of flea bites will they make me sick I think they come from off the mice in my boat
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There exist a risk for bubonic plague.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

You should know that rat (mice)fleas may not be as common as cat or dog fleas, but they could transmmite a disease such as the bubonic plague ( black plague).
So, I suggest to be carefull and to take in control your flea bites.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 24 hours later
should i go to the emegency room at the hostpital and get a shot or something so i dont get the plague

i thought that the bubonic plague had been got rid of and was no longer around...what is the treatment for it and how will i know if i get it...do they have shots for it ?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest to meet an ID specialist.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

There exist vaccination for bubonic plague but I suggest to meet an ID specialist to decide after a physical examination if you need it.
You should know that If you have the swollen lymph nodes (buboes) characteristic of bubonic plague, a fluid sample can be taken from them with a needle .
If your doctor suspects plague, he may look for the Yersinia pestis bacteria in samples taken from your buboes.
Usually the treatment is with antibiotics like gentamicin or doxycicline or ciprofloxacini.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 2 days later
I have no symptons at all and feel normal but should I go to the doctor anyway to get checked...its been a week since I was bitten by the fleas
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can go to meet a doctor.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for my late response.

It is a good news that you don't have symptoms but I think is better to meet a doctor just as a precaution.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.