Suggest treatment for flatulence and abdominal bloating

Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello.. am having issues with my stomach... am 33 yr old , 176cm height and 45kg is my weight. Am very lean and trying hard to put on some weight. my bowel movement is not good. though not hard motion there is no proper bowel formation. lot of gas , flatulence with foul smell especially when i eat vegetables, bread, chapathi, oats etc.. i dont want to live on rice as i have diabetes in my genes. i usually have severe bloating in my stomach which leads to breathing problem. and whenevr i have these issues, my skin becomes very dry. I also feel the nutrients are not getting absorbed. no proper digestion. i am trying everything but nothing has been helpful. scanning reports say everything is fine. i had got endoscopy done few years back, the result was gastritis and duodinities.. but rite now i do not have those issues anymore...
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
take rifaximin probiotic and simethocone

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am a Gastroenterilogist.

Lots of gas flatulence and bloating symptoms are due to excessive gas production in gut. Which is due to intake of carbohydrates which are not digested by our body which are then metabolised by bacteria present in our gut. This may occurr also when our gut bacteria are disturbed. Also there are some food which are known to produce excess gas like cabbage beans pulses rice and dairy products. So I wil suggest you to avoid these food items. Also I will advise you to take take tablet rifaximin which is a gut antibiotic and a course of probiotic to normalise the gut bacteria. Also do regular exercise which also helps in evacuation of gases. Also one more tablet which I found very useful in my patients with these symptoms is cap simethicone.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Wish you a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor.. i have tried antibiotics before ( rifnim 550 and torfix 550 ) , VSL#3 probiotics and worked well for a while but the issue relapses everytime. i do exercises regularly. I go to gym and workout regularly, but nutrition wise am lagging behind as my gut is not supporting me. i have always tried to avoid foods tht cause excess gas. but most of the foods cause gas for me and am worried about nutrition for my body. I was also trying to do research on the internet. Antibiotics, Probiotics, Enzymes etc are all i could figure out as well.. I am totally confused and frustrated.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue with rifaximin and probiotic

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and sorry for delay

I can understand, Dont be confused and follow the advise as above.

Continue rifaximin for every 10 days in a month and continue with probiotic VSL#3. Avoid prohibited food and continue with regular exercise. Everything will be alright.

Also take high caloric and high protein diet like french fries, items made from soyabeans, egg or non veg., cheese etc. That will help in increasing weight.

Wish you a good helath

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana