• question-icon

Suggest treatment for flare ups of acid reflux

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have acid reflux and from time to time I have flare ups. For 4 days now I still have a sharp pain in my chest. What I thought were hiccups I believe now to be muscle spasms and its painful they are not back to back like hiccups and I notice that my urine is a deep yellow. So I start drinking more water but today it look orange but now its back to yellow. I am taking pantoprazole-SOD 40 mg for the reflux and I take a blood pressue and water pill. I just started itching yesterday but I don't appear to have a rash. I just applied an anti itch cream about an hour ago and its providing some relief. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All problems are related to each other.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic.

See all these problems are related to each other.In reflux disorders the excessive acid formed in your stomach regurgitates back into esophagus.Esophagus is lined naturally with a thin layer of mucosa.This mucosa is severely irritated by refluxed acid.This irritation causes inflammation.Inflammation any where in smooth muscle path would cause severe spasms.These spasms would stimulate the entire nervous system hence causing inappropriate contraction and relaxation of diaphragmatic muscles causing hiccups.Firstly control your reflux disorder as once it is controlled the root cause of all problems can be eliminated-

Suggestion-
Take Rabeprazole proton pump inhibitor once daily before breakfast (they prevent secretion of excessive acid).
Along with Rabeprazole take levosulpiride once daily(they are prokinetic drug and prevent reflux of acid back into esophagus.

Baclofen is a central nervous system depressant used as a skeletal muscle relaxant. It is primarily used to treat spasticity. Currently its drug of choice to control hiccups.It can be taken in doses of 20 mg twice daily.

Water pills causes excessive urination hence mount of water in body decreases causing urine to be concentrated(concentrated urine is usually dark orange so suggestion is drink plenty of water daily).

Regarding itching please answer whether its on full body or in a particular area of body?
In case its generalised most likely it can be allergic i would suggest you to take any antihistaminic like allegra 120 mg once daily for 3 days.

Hope i was helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist