question-icon

Suggest treatment for fish scale disease

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016
Question: I have had problems with my skin looking like I have dry fish scales on legs with criss cross pattern. Was wondering what could help get rid of this?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Icthyosis vulgaris; Urea and lactic acid based moisturisers

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I a Dr.Kakar (Dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
You most likely have a condition known as Icthyosis Vulagris which presents with fish like scales on extensor surfaces of legs and forearms, commonly. The dryness and scaling is more common in winters as compared to summers. It is an inherited condition caused by Filaggrin mutations.
I would suggest you to apply a urea + lactic acid based moisturiser, twice daily e.g Ureativ- 20% cream Or Amylac Lotion Or Xerina Lotion. These ingredients exfoliate dry, scaly skin as well as trap moisture/ hydrate the skin due to the hygroscopic action.
Icthyosis Vulagris is weather dependent and is usually more severe in winters than in summers, therefore you need to use these moisturisers regularly, particularly in winters

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist