• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fibromyalgia

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i have DES and am having a final test to determine botox or surgery...i also have Fibromyalgia...
my mother and sister have/had Lupus, sister had MS, I'M seeing a specialist at KU MED Center in KS CITY.
MY gastroenderologist wants me to have the mammootry? where a tube goes down into esophogus but the specialist says I can have no pain medication before or during process....but gastroenderologist doesnt know why that is necessary...what is standard?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
What is DES?
Do you mean Diethylstilbestrol cancer?

Standard protocol for esophageal manometry is-
1)
STOP taking blood thinner(coumadin, aspirin, plavix, heparin, etc) and anti-inflammatory drugs (Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Naprosyn etc).

2)If you have diabetes and take insulin, do not take your morning dose on the day of the examination. Check your finger-stick glucose before leaving home and notify the nurse of the results upon arrival to the endoscopy suite. Bring your blood glucose meter and your home insulin dosing with you in case the nurse needs to treat you.

3)STOP eating at least six (6) hours before your procedure. STOP drinking all fluids at least four (4) hours before your procedure. You may take necessary medication with sips of water.
4)IF you are taking H2 BLOCKERS (Pepcid and Zantac) and/or PPI’S (Nexium, Dexilant, Prilosec(Omeprazole), Prevacid (Lansoprazole), Protonix (Pantoprazole), and Aciphex) or CARAFATE (Sucralfate), Please STOP taking them for five (5) days PRIOR to your procedure. If you can tolerate it.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist