Suggest treatment for fibromyalgia and sleep apnea while on Ambien

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I am a 57 year old female with fibromyalgia and sleep apnea. I cannot take many traditional medicines because they have an opposite affect on me or other adverse affects. I have taken Ambien for over 10 years but my doctor wants me to quit taking it. I have not had it for 3 weeks but I am not getting quality sleep. I don't go to sleep until 3-4 am and I am always up be 9 am. I have pain many nights that interrupt my sleep. I am using melatonin and 5-HTP to help with my sleep. What else can I do?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I would try increasing your melatonin to 10mg nightly. In addition, you can take over the counter sleep aids such as Benadryl 50mg at night. Your doctor may offer other prescription options that may help, including trazodone or quetiapine.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 14 minutes later
I have used trazodone in the past without success. I am not familiar with quetiapine. I also cannot use Benadryl. It causes heart palpitations and extreme feelings of anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
In that case, I would try quetiapine, 25mg-200mg nightly 30 minutes before sleep. Talk to your doctor about giving this a try. Only known side effect at this dose is oversedation in which case the dose should simply be lowered. It is safe and effective.

Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 hours later
I notice you are a psychiatrist. Is quetiapine a mind altering drug?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
No, it is a sedative when used at low doses for insomnia.