Suggest treatment for fibroids

Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I have been referred to a gyno for assessment of fibroids Im just wondering which outcome I might recieve from this a second opinion I suppose on whether they will use medication or removal thankyou
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Removal might be necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.

Looking at your query and reports, my opinion is as follows:

1. There are numerous fibroids causing a bulky uterus. The size of fibroids do not reduce with medication and surgical removal is necessary now or later. As they are multiple, hysterectomy might be necessary. One of the causes of back pain is a large uterus and the other would be the vertebrae.

2. The other cause of back pain appears to be in the spine with degenerative changes in Lumbar vertebrae. You need to do back exercises to strengthen your muscles along with wearing lumbar support. Calcium and Vit D supplements are also essential.

The removal of uterus only will be done as the ovaries are normal and it would not affect your sexual life. As they are multiple, specifically fibroids cannot be removed.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Jyothi BL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D