Suggest treatment for fever with swollen eye

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 2 Jan 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 13 year daughter has had a chest cold and now head cold with cough for 2 weeks and severe headache for the last 2 days. I took her to clinic yesterday and the doctor said chest is clear but nasal passages very congested and both ears red (infected). Doctor put her on Amoxicillin and she was running fever of 100-102 last night after 2 doses of antibiotics. Her fever was down today but going back up 100.8 tonight and her head still hurts in front and left eye is swollen. Should I take her to hospital? The swollen eye and tender to touch forehead worries me the most. Is the swollen forehead and eye common for nasal congestion?

thanks so much,

XXXXXXX XXXX

XXXX
The left corner and eyelid is swollen almost shut and tender to the touch as well as her forehead. Mild headache.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take her to a doctor and get her examined

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

You should definitely take her to hospital and get her examined. It is hard to comment on her condition without being able to examine her clinically. The doctors at the hospital would be able to examine her and intervene accordingly.
Most often such infections are caused due to viral infections although secondary bacterial infections may complicate the situation. Antibiotics like amoxicillin would control the superadded bacterial infection and provide some relief but the problem may still go without full resolution.
The swollen eye and tender forehead worry me too. There is an area called the dangerous area of face (located from in between the eyes and covering the nose). Infection in this area can spread to the brain. This could be the cause of headache. Although not common in nasal congestion, such things do occur.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 41 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX
I was able to follow up with my pediatrician at home and we they concluded it was sinus infection and upped the dose of antibiotics.

Thanks for your time,
XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Give steam inhalation a few times a day.

Detailed Answer:
Fine. However, sinuses have a poor blood supply and antibiotics cannot reach there properly. You should give her steam inhalation alongside. Water in the form of vapor would reach deep inside into the sinuses and would help in clearing the blockages.

Continue to give the antibiotics as prescribed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T