Suggest treatment for fever with swollen eye

Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 2 Jan 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My 13 year daughter has had a chest cold and now head cold with cough for 2 weeks and severe headache for the last 2 days. I took her to clinic yesterday and the doctor said chest is clear but nasal passages very congested and both ears red (infected). Doctor put her on Amoxicillin and she was running fever of 100-102 last night after 2 doses of antibiotics. Her fever was down today but going back up 100.8 tonight and her head still hurts in front and left eye is swollen. Should I take her to hospital? The swollen eye and tender to touch forehead worries me the most. Is the swollen forehead and eye common for nasal congestion?
thanks so much
XXXXXXX
The left corner and eyelid is swollen almost shut and tender to the touch as well as her forehead.
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
seems to be a complication of viral cold

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that your daughter is having fever with swollen eye.

Based on your clinical details, it appears to be complicated sinusitis secondary to viral cold.

Fever, blocked nose with congested ear drum do common in simple viral fevers. But, in case of complications secondary to viral fever (sinusitis, penumonia, meningitis) needs to be managed with good care, if necessary monitered care from hospital.

Yes. Nasal congestion can cause swelling of fore-head and eye signs in case of complicated sinusitis. Any way, please send me the photo of swelling, so that i can assess and give you a advise related to the severity.

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 39 hours later
Thank you for your time Dr. Siddiqh. I was able to follow up with my pediatrician at home and they concluded it was a sinus infection and upped the antibiotic dose. She is feeling much better.

Thanks again,
XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
All the best.

Detailed Answer:

Hello again,

Thanks for considering my answer and for your follow up.

With that, continue steam inhalation twice daily and mucolytics (ambroxyl). Anyway, All the best.Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad