Suggest treatment for fever with canker sores in mouth

Question
My son is having fever (often 102 degrees F) with canker sores in the mouth for nine days now. No other symptoms except fatigue, low appetite and blood pressure of 100/70. He is aged 24 and lean. Has taken vitamin tablets, paracetamol and Mox (amoxyline) with little effect. Is it advisable for him to take sumo tablet prescribed by the doctor as it contains nimesulide? Continuing with intake of vitamins C, B Complex etc. What is your advice?
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give Paracetamol

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Welcome to HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
As far as your query is concerned I won't advise using Nimuselide at all as you are right it effects liver.
For fever and body pains you can simply give him Paracetamol 650 mg. He can even continue with medicines. I would advise to give him a multivitamin that contains Zinc like Zincovit.
Important here is that of his fever is persisting and his mouth sores have not relieved then he should get a work up investigations.
If his fever has subsided and he just has residual weakness then he just requires multivitamin and maintain his hydration.
Give Paracetamol in case of body aches.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Stay Healthy.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fever with canker sores in mouth 3 days later
He is having intermittent fever even after 10 days and two courses of antibiotics. Fever will subside only if Nimesulide is used. Paracetamol has little effect. The sores, however, have started to slowly diminish and disappear.
He had typhoid a month ago. A friend of his who had typhoid a week ahead of him is also having fever and is developing sores in the mouth. Is this related to typhoid in anyway? Both live in XXXXXXX where antibiotics are used to grow chicken.

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
I understand your concern. See mouth sores are not classically related to typhoid. Without seeing them it would be difficult to comment.
Since you are in XXXXXXX I can tell you that these days in NCR region we are getting patients with Viral fever that lasts up to or even more then 10 days.
He must have been prescribed broad spectrum antibiotics that would have covered typhoid of any.
So you can wait for 2 days more since fever is resolving. If it further persists see a well versed physician and get investigated.
Stay Healthy.