Suggest treatment for fever while having strep throat

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: 1 hours ago
Hi my son is 20 months old was dignosed with strep throat 5 days ago I thought he was improving finally after 3 days of torcherment. But now it's like I'm going through hell again. He was having really high fevers for 3 days in really bad pain as well and then through the weekend he was all good feeling like himself and I thought I had my happy lil guy back then just last night it was like the torcherment was happening all over again high fever of 104.9 badly going down with Motrin and tynole then 1hr later straight back up again and in unbelievable pain I'm reall really scared I need some advice and help from anyone I don't was lose my son
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gurgling with lukewarm water is the mainstay of treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Please be patient, as even if it is due to a bacteria, irrespective of use of antibiotics, it should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days. Gurgling with lukewarm water is the mainstay of treatment and should provide relief. You need to give Tylenol (acetaminophen) to bring down the temperature. If it does not seem to be effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P (mefenamic acid) which is more effective. However, I do not think that they need to be used simultaneously. Also use tepid sponging. Giving some antiallergic like cetirizine along.

You need to be patient. I hope that your child would soon be fine again.