Suggest treatment for fever, upset stomach and colic

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
hi doctor

my baby is 11 months old. she's having high temperature fever. we gave her paracetamol p250 medicine and also antibiotic. but after giving antibiotic she's having stomach upset issues and going on crying. temperature has come down.

please advise
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop antibiotic and continue Paracetamol please

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day.

If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all.

Antibiotics when unnecessarily used can cause issues of stomach upset like loose motions and occasional vomiting with pain abdomen. Please do not use antibiotics without proper evaluation or doing blood culture or urine culture or without medical supervision.

Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

If you can get back to me with the exact current weight of the kid, I will suggest you the proper dose of P 250 which you have in hand right now.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fever, upset stomach and colic 18 minutes later
thank you doctor for writing back. my child's weight is 10.5kgs.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on dose of Paracetamol

Detailed Answer:
Hi... thank you for the trust in me.

For your child's weight you should be giving 3.5 ml of suspension P 250 every 4 or 6th hourly once and that too only if temperature is more than hundred degrees Fahrenheit.

Please do not do any cold sponging. It may temporarily bring down the fever, but ultimately there will be a rebound higher grade of fever due to shivering.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fever, upset stomach and colic 13 minutes later
ok doctor. will avoid sponging. i was told to do sponging by my in laws but did not see any change. my baby is active if there is no temperature. can you advise doctor why she's getting this viral illness despite proper care being taken. how to avoid this in future?

just few minutes back i gave my child collicaid drops and she has calmed and slept.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on viral illness

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... viral illnesses are very common. On an average in this season of flu and recurring viral illnesses any child can get 2 to 3 episodes of viral fever in a month. Each episode may last for 2 to 3 days or up to a maximum of 5 to 7 days.

But the most important point is that in between two fever episodes, the baby will be completely fine. So do not worry about the recurrence of fever.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fever, upset stomach and colic 5 hours later
thank you doctor. for cough what medicine would you suggest.? also is it better if i switch to homeopathy?

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on cough and cold

Detailed Answer:
Hi... we should not be using any cough suppressants for 11 month old child. It is not good.

Some cough suppressant medications are known to cause tachycardia or increased heart rate in kids of this age. Moreover they are not licensed to be used as they have not proven to have an established safety profile.

Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cough and cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do.

For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.

For cold you can use Cetrizine at 0.25mg/kg/dose every 12 hourly for 3 days.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.

Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

In this way even in health care magic you can follow up always with a single doctor who knows the history of your kid completely. Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth