Suggest treatment for fever, muscle pain and stiffness

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: my 17 year old daughter woke up crying this morning complaining of overall body aches, stiffness and pain. She said her head feels like a bowling ball. She has a slight fever (99-100) and has difficulty moving. I had her sit up, take two 500 mg tylenol, use the bathroom, then drink more water and get back into bed. I've never known her to be brought to tears because of pain. She does have her period and is under a lot of pressure/stress because of her online live classes (she stays at home for high school). Also, she did just come back from a weekend college visit....perhaps she was exposed to someone who was ill? Not sure what to do next....hospital OR continue to give her fluids and wait to see if tylenol helps?
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to any viral infection such as flu

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query to Healthcare magic.

I have read your question carefully and understand her health concern.

Body ache, stiffness and a slight fever can be due to viral infection while she has been exposed in college at weekend .

Hence try with these advice:
Tylenol every 4 to 6 hours
chicken soups
rest
much warm teas and other fluids
and more important she should be calm

If her symptoms will not relive by using Tylenol than go to hospital.

Hope I was helpful and please feel free for further discussion.

Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng