Suggest treatment for fever in children

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Child Health
Question: hi my 10 month old is running high temp. 100.1

we have give babygesic drops. 1 ml in the morning and 1 ml in the afternoon.
the temp doesn't seem to come down. any suggestions.
thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral illness can take 4-5 days to recover

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all.

Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 hours later
he is teething so could be related to that. but he very cranky and crying whole day today. he hasn't eaten much also. he has been insisting in drinking breast milk only. he is not sitting down and wanting be be held or carried all the time since morning. he keeps biting
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be related to teething

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I agree that it could be related to teething. If the kid is too cranky and irritable I suggest you give him Syrup Pedicloryl to sooth him. If you can get back to me with the weight of the kid, I will be glad to suggest you the appropriate dose please.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 9 minutes later
8.2 KGS. do you think it's an emergency. just checked his temperature again with a temperature gun it reads 99.5 . at what temperature should we call it emergency. what can we feed him through the night ? please suggest dosage as well
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not an emergency

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I don't think it is an emergency.

The dose of Pedicloryl would be 4ml.

I will tell you the danger signs or when it is an emergency -

1. If the kid is having seizures.
2. If the kid is unconscious or behaving incoherently.
3. If the kid is having Rash all over the body.
4. If the kid is having very low urine output.
5. If The kid is severely Breathless or is in severe respiratory distress.

Any temperature more than 103 is an emergency and can cause febrile seizures.

You can feed him anything which he likes. There is no restriction on food.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 39 minutes later
I don't think its an emergency then , none of those things have happened by gods grace ...only issue is his under arm temperature is 102.2 now. he is less cranky but looks week. he has eaten banana and some rice dal. also fed him breast milk. thanks a lot for your support.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wish him fast recovery

Detailed Answer:
I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below -
www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696