Suggest treatment for fever in children

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My 2.5 yr daughter has fever which does not seem to go away with 100mg Opox 3.5ml 1-0-1, Flucold 6ml 1-1-1 and paracetamol as needed.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Meftal P is more effective than paracetamol in reducing temperature.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Opox (Cefpodoxmine Proxetil) is an antibiotic and is not supposed to bring down fever. Paracetamol is given to bring down fever. If that does not help, Meftal P (mefenamic acid) may be given as it is more effective than paracetamol. However, it is a prescription medicine and you might need your doctor to write it for you.

Most often fevers in children is due to viral cause where antibiotics are ineffective. Irrespective of medicines, such fevers last for 5-7 days. So, I guess, you would have to be patient. If the child becomes lethargic, however, you would need to take her to a doctor without delay.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 31 minutes later
What would the dosage for meftal p would be?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dosage depends upon the weight of the child

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

The dose of Meftal P would be 5 mg/kg/dose to be given at a minimum interval of 6-8 hours i.e. for a child of 10 kg weight, the requisite dose would be 50 mg which is contained in 5 ml of the suspension (50mg/5ml strength). So you can calculate the dose required for your daughter.

For paracetamol, the dose is 15mg/kg/dose to be given at minimum interval of 3-4 hours.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician