Suggest treatment for fever in an infant

Posted on Mon, 23 Jun 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor, my 8.5 month old baby boy has been suffering from cough and cold from past 3 days. He also had fever for 2 nights of around 101. We visited a doctor who suggested tminic drops and crocin drops. He also suggested we can give him apple banana to eat. But there has been no improvement in these 3 days. He has no fever but cough and cold is really bad. Yesterday nite he puked all the XXXXXXX puree we gave him to eat. Night he did not sleep bcoz he was not able to breathe and had stomach ache also. I have saline drops which i put in his nose. The local doctor had checked him and said his throat was fine. We were giving him milk powder with boiled turmeric powder. I dont know the reason of his stomach ache last nite. He ate XXXXXXX or something else. He pooped 3 times yesterday which was dark green/blackish. Pls suggest what should we avoid giving him to eat. Is it ok if we gve him suji ki kheer only once in a day till his cough subsides and no fruits? What can i do to clean his nose and make it soft from inside so dat it can be cleaned easily? How many times saline drops shud be put in the nose? Shud we go to the doctor again? I didnt find the last visit useful. The suggestions by doctors on healthcaremagic was much better i feel. Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral illness

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

Fever of 2-3 days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If he is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably and it doesn't require antibiotics at all.

Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active. While settling viral fever usually leave after a cough and it the usual course.

You can treat fever with Paracetamol at 15mg/kg/dose every 4-6th hourly if fever is > 100F.Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do.

Coming to your queries one by one -
1. Small amounts diarrhea need not be worried about. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

2. You need not avoid anything for cough and cold but avoid fruit juices during diarrhea as it might get aggravated (Osmotic diarrhea).

3.You can give fruits also along with kheer, but give whole fruit and avoid giving only juice.

4. For nose block saline nasal drops are the best and work very well. You can give as frequently as possible and there is no specific dose. Avoid nasal decongestants like Oxymetazoilne and Xylomatezoline in this age group.

5. If the kid is active and playful I don't see any need to go to a doctor and even for my patients I advice them not to come to me if the kid is active.

If you can get back with the weigh of your kid I will be glad to suggest the correct dose and formulation of the required drugs.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 55 minutes later
Thanks doctor.. This helps.. His weight is 8.5kg and height is 75cm. He is active during the day. Its only during the night he finds it difficult to sleep because of the cough cold and blocked nose. I have been giving him tminic drops twice 0.5 ml in a day from past 2 days. Should i continue giving this dose? Can i apply ghee inside his nose to soft clean his nose as its blocked. How many more days will this happen at night if u can tell me pls.. Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions for cold

Detailed Answer:
Hi....thanks for the trust in me.

1. I do not recommend combination medicines ever for kids unless nothing else is available. T-MINIC which is a combination medicine. Instead I use ZYRTEC drops (10mg/ml) 0.2ml twice a day for 3 days

3. For nose block you can give NASIVION-S Nasal drops 1 drop in each nostril as frequently as required or 4-6 times per day especially before feeding or putting to sleep.

4. For Fever - Syrup P-125 (125mg/5ml) 5ml every 4 to 6th hourly, ONly if Temperature is more than 100F.

5. Never apply ghee or any other oily instillation in the nose as it might cause a dreadful complication of Lipoid Pneumonia. I am happy that you asked and clarified before putting ghee.

6. Usually viral illness takes 4-7 days to settle.

Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology