Suggest treatment for fever, headache and excessive sweating

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 21 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: i have a fever and headache since wednesday i was sweating and sleeping a lot on thursday i went to the emergency room because i wasnt feeling well , i dont have diarrea cough sore throat or any type of viral mocus, so when i got there i told them my symptoms wich it was neck pain, chills, eyes were hurting, and they test me with a soab to se if a had the flu or meningitis so it came out negative they said it was just and probably a viral infection and just gave me ibuprofen but 3 days has pass and i still feel the same and even got worst my head aches my neck aches bad and when i take a deep breath my left side chest and shilder hurts and if i laid down on my right something hurts really bad! i just need an opinion before going back to E.R again
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It sounds like you are quite ill and it would be reasonable to go to the ER

Detailed Answer:
It is hard to tell you what might be wrong without being able to examine you and see your labs and chest X-ray.

Given that you are doing worse and are now having chest symptoms too, I think it is reasonable for you to go to the ER again. Sometimes infections can take awhile to show themselves on tests.

I think it would be wise to do or repeat your chest X-ray and also look for neurological causes (did they do a lumbar puncture for meningitis last time?).
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 minutes later
no they didnt and they didnt even took blood, at times i feel ok but then it comes back hopefully is not something real bad!
Brief Answer:
At this point they should do some tests.

Detailed Answer:
I do not want you to be scared as the most likely cause is a viral fluish infection, but at this point, particularly if you are running a fever over 100.5, they should be looking for source of infection. The things that I am concerned about are fever, neck pain/headache, and chest pain.

I would recommend that at the very minimum you have the following tests:
Complete Blood Count (CBC) With Differential for signs of viral or bacterial infection
Chest Xray for signs of infection or other abnormality.

They should do a thorough examination including your lungs and abdomen.

Depending on your physical exam and the above tests, additional tests may be appropriate:
If the neck ache and headache are severe, they may want to consider a lumbar puncture (this sounds scarier than it is).
A CT if there are abnormalities on the chest X-ray.
Liver function tests (this is just a simple blood test) since you have pain on the right side.

Again, this is likely an infection that will pass, but given the fever, head and neck pain, and chest symptoms, I think you need to be reevaluated.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
ill mention all that thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Good luck to you.

Detailed Answer:
I think you will likely soon be well again. If possible, please let me know how you do. If you write in the comments how you are you won't have to pay extra.