Suggest treatment for fever, fatigue and sore throat

Posted on Thu, 2 Jul 2015 in Infections
Question: I have had mild fever and fatigue and sore throat and burning tongue for about over a month now. I do take medications and they are Depakote, wellbutrine, Celexa and Synthroid. I was on the antibiotic for a week but this did not go away. I went to go see an E and T and he thought it was due to acid reflux from smoking but why then, fever and malaise.??
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fever is not caused by GERD

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You have developed fever malaise and a burning tongue, You took a course of antibiotics thinking it was due to an infection but the symptoms have persisted. In looking over your medications celexa can sometimes cause flu like symptoms and a funny taste in the mouth. If you have just recently started on celexa then this could be the reason. I would consult your doctor about possibly weaning off celexa to see if that stopped your symptoms.

But reflux will not cause fever or malaise.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again with your health care questions and concerns
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
But the ear nose and throat doctor used the scope to see my throat and he said it was irritated. Which he said is from smoking. I had this kind of symptoms before. A mild fever and fatigue. I stRyed celebs long time ago. Do you think it's caused by celebs?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible celexa

Detailed Answer:
Despite you having been on celexa for some time you could now be developing a drug reaction to the celexa. I would recommend discussing this with your doctor and possible weaning you off and trying other antidepressants.

The throat irritation is probably caused by the smoking but fever and chills are not associated with reflux or with smoking related throat irritation.

To help reduce the reflux use omeprazole in the morning 1 hour prior to eating. That will reduce the acid in your stomach and cause less irritation if indeed you have GERD.
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 2 hours later
Thank you. Do you think it's a seratonine syndrome? I will discuss this with my doctor.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seratonin syndrome possible

Detailed Answer:
I agree there may be a bit of serotonin syndrome but usually it is much more apparent and severe.

It would be better to be safe than sorry.

Dr. Ronald Schubert