Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for fever during pregnancy

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5956 Questions
Hi My Wife is pregnant of 7 months. Now she is having fever with 101 F. Kindly suggest what medicine she can take? If she has fever during this will it effect to baby?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DISCUSSED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello THanks for writing to us with your health concern. May I know since how long has she been having the fever ? Fever more than 101 degrees F should be looked into at, by a Physician, and not self treated. Specially considering that she has had 2 miscarriages earlier, you should consult a doctor immediately. The effects to the baby are more in the first trimester, at 7 months it is comparatively safe. In the 7th month, all major organ systems are formed, so you do not need to worry about the baby. The mother , can have weakness, fatigue, dehydration which in turn can affect the baby's nutrition. If she is having symptoms such as a rash, cough, chest pain, urinary symptoms, then accordingly the infection should be treated. If this is the first day of fever, you can try taking Crocin tablets as and when the fever spikes. IF it persists, and comes back once the medication wears off, please consult your doctor. Complete blood count, chest examination, urine routine microscopy and culture, viral markers. liver function tests - should be done for persistent fever. Internal examination should be done to rule out risk of preterm labour. Cold sponging will help. Ask her to rest and sleep well. Keep taking hot soups, broth, liquids orally and mild food like khichdi. If it is okay within a day, do not worry, else , I repeat, consult a Physician. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor