Suggest treatment for fever, cough and cold

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My wife had 102 fever last week ,we were travelling back from a holiday.next day she was fine,but i developed cough and cold with fever,i was on antiboitics and am fine now.But we observed she had developed a black tounge,(she is taking AMITRIPTYLINE 25 mg) daily,thinking it was because of that.Also for the last three days she has been having cough .yesterday she was having a headache and now she is complaining of earache on her left ear when she is swallowing her spit or anything.she is a very sensitive lady to medicine.Please suggest the medication and cause keeping in mind she is taking amitriptyline.Interestingly my elder daughter to had cough and had earache which became fine when she took doxcef for 4 days,she is 11 years old,she is fine now!
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms are likely to be due to cold

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Her symptoms are likely to be due to a cold which is viral in nature. Antibiotics are of no use and should not be taken in this case. Most of the time the cold will resolve in 5 days.

In my patients I would normally give cetrizine 10mg at night and paracetamol 500mg thrice a day for the fever and headache. I would also ask my parents to take steam inhalation thrice a day.

If there is more cough I would start them on benadryl cough syrup to be taken as two teaspoon twice a day.

please ask her to take rest and follow this advice. she will be fine!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 3 hours later
Thanks for the advice sir!
So my wife should ignore the blackness on the tounge,its slightly terrifying!
And for her earache she should just take paracetmol!
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes, paracetamol should be enough

Detailed Answer:
hello

The blackening may be seen in viral infections and reduced oral intake. If it is not increasing and she has no numbness of her tongue or burning sensation, then i think you can ignore it for the time being.

paracetamol should take care of the ear pain and should be enough. Ear drops will not be useful as her ear drum will be intact.

I hope I have answered all your questions satisfactorily.

Dont worry!
she will be fine!

Thanks