Suggest treatment for fever, cold, cough and severe body pain

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: My 11year 6months son is having fever [around 101 degree] with cold/cough since night so i gave him imol syrup temporarily, but after 6hours again he had fever so i did not repeat imol syrup instead i had given combiflam syrup so the fever is not there now as i have given this around an hour back. Could you please let me know the reason for the same with correct line of treatment as he is having headache with severe body pain & dry cough/cold.

shall i continue combiflam or not and how long it will take to cure completelyit as there is no inflammation inside tonsils and there is no pain/redness while drinking water.

he is very thirsty most of the time. Please help with the reason along with detail line of treatment as he is not attending school.
Also helps with do and donots.
Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give Paracetamol as first line treatment for fever

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I have gone through your question and understand your concerns but don't worry. The most likely reason for such complaints in this age group of kids is a self limiting viral illness. The treatment required is symptomatic management with good diet and plenty of fluids with rest.

I would recommend you to give him Acetaminophen (Crocin or Paracetamol) for fever spikes above 100 degrees Fahrenheit and repeat it every 6-8 hours if fever persists or is recurrent. Also, cold sponging will be helpful to bring faster relief. In case he doesn't respond, then you may give Combiflam as second line drug. These drugs will also help in headache and bodyache.

Also, start him on antihistamine such as Chlorpheniramine or fexofenadine for cough and cold relief. Give him warm saline gargles 3-4 times daily along with warm water and soups.

Avoid any cold exposure and cold beverages.

Usually it improves completely within 3-5 days. But if you find that there is no improvement even after 2 days, then visit a pediatrician for proper clinical examination and laboratory work up.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad