Suggest treatment for fever, cold and throat infection

Dr. BR Hudda

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had fever, cold, throat infection since 4 days. Had Azithromycin, levocetrizine and paracetamol. But fever still persists.Doctor asked to perform Malaria and dengue tests.Tests results were negative. Platelet count was found to be 178 × 10^3/microliters.Still Doctor has asked to have antimalarial drug (artemether+lamotrigine).Is it advisable to take these medicines.
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more information, these drugs are not advisable

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I had gone through your question very diligently and I will definitely help you in best possible way.
At the outset I would like further information for better assessment of the clinical condition

Are you having chills and rigors during an episode of fever
Are you having decreased appetite, nausea and vomiting or passing yellowish urine
Is it constant fever or intermittent fever?
Are you having running nose or cough?
Have you recorded the temperature, if yes than what was the reading?

In my opinion artemether+lamotrigine is not indicated, even if you are expecting clinical malaria than you should take choloroquine which is sufficient enough to cure the malaria.
Please write back to me with these details and all your reports so that I will be able to tell you even more accurately
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. BR Hudda 9 hours later
I had constant high fever (104) (no shivering)for initial two days with sore throat,cold and blocked nose. I had Azithromycin, levocetrizine and paracetamol. Yesterday fever was less 101. Today I don't have fever. But sore throat is still there with cough in between (no running nose).I had Weakness and decreased appetite these days.
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anti malarial drugs are not advisable

Detailed Answer:
Hello
welcome again and thanks for the details
You need not to take antimalarial drugs.
Since you are or having fever today, so just relax you will be alright very soon
Please take azithromycin for 5 days and complete the course.
You should do gargling with mouth wash or warm water mixed with salt
Steam inhalation will definitely help you in relieving cough

decreased appetite might be related to stomach hyperacidity caused by paracetamol so you should take anti acidity medicines like pantoprazole or ranitidine group if drugs with antacids for 3 to 4 days
You should take multivitamin and minerals supplements to boost your immunity and generalised weakness.

Hope this answers your question
Best wishes
Follow up: Dr. BR Hudda 5 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your medical advice.
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My pleasure

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Your welcome
Thank you using our services
Please feel free to contact me any time I will happily answer your health related queries.
If you satisfied with the conversation you can close the discussion and rate it accordingly
Wish you good health