• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fever at night, pain in the throat along with the previous symptom of ear pain

Posted on Fri, 2 Aug 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello- I first was diagnosed with Bronchitis, was given anzrithamiasine ?spelling?. After about 5 days the choughing stopped, but new symptoms appeared: earaches with an inability to hear anything, alone with lymph nodes pain and swelling in neck and very sore throat to the point of I can hardly swallow anything from pain and swelling. My throat is red along where my Tonsils use to be on down to my tongue and below, and there seems to be some white on the back of my throat. I have some pain in my rib cage and arm pit area too, but not as sore as my neck. All of this has been going on since March 18th, with getting the antibiotics on 3/27/2018. I went to After Care on 4/9/2018, because of the swollen glands, trouble swallowing, and ear pain and plugged ears. They gave me eardrops: Neomycn-Polymyxin-HC, and told me to purchase Allegra-D to take. It is now April 16th, and I am not better. In fact I'd say Im worse because now another symptoms I reconize, especially at night is a fever (tempature 100.9-101.0°), an my throat and lymph nods are more painful than anything. But in the mornings, the fever goes back down to 99.9-100.2°, and throat, glands in neck and pits are still there. What in the world can I possibly have? This is like no virus I have ever had in my life. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need expert ENT Surgeon's advice & self care.

Detailed Answer:

Your problem started with bronchitis due to allergy/virus, that's why (ear nose & throat being connected with eusthachian tube) it did progress to the ear & throat problem inspite of taking Azitheomycin. You were given ear drops, anti allergic-Allegra. The symptoms increased with fever & painful neck glands.

Such a patient usually needs a change of antibiotic (Azitheomycin not being effective) along with anti inflammatory pain medicine & probably oral steroids as per the need apart from broncho dilators.

You should consult an ENT specialist for needful investigations & local examination followed by specific medications & instructions for self care.

Self care-
- Steam inhalation twice a day/Nasivion nasal drops to help blocked &inflamed eustachian tube.
- Avoid known allergens,dust,fumes/cold exposure/sour eatables.
- Do not sneeze or clear nose forcibally/Do not try to dry, poke or wash ear.
- Do no strain to increase pressure in ear.
- Thus a proper guidance by expert,methodical self care &medication would help you.

I think that will help you.

Thank you.

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale