Suggest treatment for fever and watery stools

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hello Dr,
My daughter(age 13 months,10 Kg wt. ) is suffering from fever from last 5 days. She was given Calpol syrup & Azithral. On second day after taking Azithral she started passing greenish watery stool 4-5 times. Then she was given Flagyl syrup for controlling the stool but did not recovered. Her fever continued & then Azithral was stopped. My Dr. then gave antibiotic Topcef 100 DT & flagyl continued. But Dr. said that by taking this antibiotic rash may come but fever will be cured. I was worried & consulted another doctor. He told me that the fever is due to stomach infection & he gave OFM syrup, calpol syrup(SOS), neopeptine syrup & Enterogermina. I have started it from today morning but also she has passed frequent stools for four times. she is eating nothing & is restless. Iam giving ORS also & she is passing urine.
I am worried as whether advise from second doctor would work for my daughter or would again take advise from my first doctor.
Please help.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Too many antibiotics in too short time

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

I congratulate you for using ORS well and am happy that your kid is having good urine output which means that she is not dehydrated.

I think in a very short notice you have used too many antibiotics which I feel is not necessary.
It seems your kid is having viral diarrhea. Once it starts it will take 5-10 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.
There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhea. Azithral , Flagyl, Topcef and OFM - all are antibiotics. STOP ALL ANTIBIOTICS.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron as prescribed by your pediatrician. Using probiotics is good idea (enterogermina). Continue that for a total of 5 days.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 hours later
Many thanks for your reply. It is really helpful.

From yesterday morning, she is taking followings as prescribed by her second doctor:
1.     Junior Lanzol 15 – ½ tablet twice daily for 10 days
2.     ORS
3.     Nasoclear
4.     Z&D drop= 1 ml once daily for 10 days
5.     Enterogermina – 1 ample twice daily for 3 days
6.     OFM syrup – 4ml three times for 6 days
7.     Suspension Sucrac.. – 5ml on SOS if she cries a lot may be due to stomach ache
As advised by you should I stop OFM now? Today is the second day of taking OFM.
From yesterday evening, my daughter is not having fever. Body temp. is sometimes 96-99 deg. F.
But today morning I saw many rashes on her face & back of her body. What may be the cause & what should I apply on the rashes to rectify. Whether it is due to OFM/calpol/ azithral/other antibiotic or due to after effect of fever. I am giving her normal bath.
For your information, a month ago she suffered from similar kind of stomach problem which had mucous in her stool but there was no fever. She was given OFM(3 bottles complete), Z&D, lanzol, econorm. Now again she is suffering from viral diarrhoea with fever & given OFM, Z&D, etc again. Such frequent intake of antibiotics is harmful for my baby. Please advise why it is happening & how would I get rid of it.
Please advise whether her canned milk “Similac 2” can be given to her now or any other milk can be tried, please advise. As she refuses to take other food items in such situation.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions of management

Detailed Answer:
HI...thanks for your trust in me and my advice.

Regarding your queries -

1. Rashes could be due to antibiotics - STOP ALL ANTIBIOTICS
2. Do not use anything for the rash and it will subside automatically.
3. My suggestion is not to use antibiotics unless it is very much required. 95% of the kids' illnesses are due to viral and DO NOT REQUIRE ANTIBIOTCS AT ALL.
4. Any milk can be required.
5. Avoid fruit juices as it will aggravate diarrhoea.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below.
www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 24 hours later
Thanks doctor for your advise.

I will definitely follow your suggestions & give you the feedback.

Thanks. XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Need feed back please

Detailed Answer:
Hi...thanks for your trust in me.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. Would be very happy to hear your feedback that your kid got well.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj