• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fever and loose motion in child

Posted on Mon, 2 Feb 2015 in Child Health
Question: hi doctor ....my 1,5 year old child was having fever...of 103 31 dec night and his eyes are rolling
....he has not respond for a min that time...i took him hospital immediately...doctor started antibiotics ...bocz there was high blood infection and less hb in blood...now fever is less but he started loose motion continous...what should i do...he is admitted in hospital from 31 dec night
should i change the doctor...or continue with same...
pls guide me
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral illness with simple febrile seizu

Detailed Answer:
Hi....by going through the information you provided, I think he's having s viral illness from which he's gradually recovering. Diarrhea could as well be caused by the same viral illness its part an parcel of the same viral illness. The rolling of eyes could be simple febrile seizures or fits which occur during high fever. This is quite common in kids from 6 months to 6 years of age. This will not harm the brain as such.

Regarding diarrhea - Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry. Antibiotics if given orally at this juncture, might worsen the diarrhea, by causing antibiotic associated diarrhea. I suggest you use zinc supplements & ORS...

I have a few questions for you -

1. How was the activity of the kid during the 1St 2 days of fever and how is the activity now.... I mean, is the better or same or worse?

2. How is the kid's urine output?

3. Is there any blood in the motion?

4. Was the kid unconscious when there was rolling of eyes during high fever?

5. Is there any family history of fits with fever?

6. How is his appetite now - better or same?

Kindly get back to me with answers to above questions and I will be glad to help you.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 38 minutes later
very dull
apetite like before
during rolling of eyes has not responding any thing for 2 min...then start responding again
no history of fits
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral infection - recovering

Detailed Answer:
Hi...this is a viral infection which is getting better. Do not worry. He will be fine in another couple of days.
I don't think you need to change the doctor OT current treatment.
For diarrhea as I suggested, keep giving ORS sip by sip and start giving zinc supplements, as Z&D drops 1ml once a day for 14 days.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Ok..doctor..thanx for advice...i ll come to u if problem persist
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you...rate this interaction if you are happy

Detailed Answer:
Hi....I wish your son a speedy recovery and if you are happy with our interaction, kindly close the discussion and rate it.

You can also post a direct question to me here, which will be answered only by me.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology