Suggest treatment for fever and headache

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My son is suffering from fever since yesterday.It is high grade fever going till 104DF.
He is complaining headache sometimes along with fever.
We are giving Meftal 500 mg to him on SOS basis.Yesterday he responded and fever was down for around 8 hrs.
But today even after giving Maftal, it is down upto 101 DF & that also after 3~4 hrs.After 5 Hrs it reached back to 103.
How to reduce his fever.What is the frequency of Maftal 500 mg which can be given safely.
Today he is complaining about stomachache also.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
add paracetamol

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
Meftal is only pain killer
the high temperatures need to be desperately brought under control. Give tepid sponging as well as tylenol or Tab paracetamol 250 mg to bring down the temperature in case of fever.

if it is viral in origin and should last about 5-7 days.

if baby develops Wheezing, lethargy and fever lasting for more than 7 days, are signs you should be meet doctor

Other aspects of fever management would include: (1)dressing cooling as possible- bundling up would keep the temperature elevated

(2)tepid sponging- sponging with room temp water would also help

(3)fan therapy

If you have any doubt, you are welcome.
take care
regards
Dr Priyanka G XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj