Suggest treatment for fever and excessive sleep in an infant

Posted on Mon, 20 Jul 2015 in Child Health
Question: my 8 month old has a temperature of 100.8 F & has been sleeping since 12pm should he be going to get checked out? or would giving infant Tylenol be okay?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can observe the baby

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I won't get overly worried for low grade fever if the baby is sleeping well,active/playful when awake and accepting orally well.

Single spike of fever can be due to viral infection.Even over clothing and environmental temperature can cause mild elevation in temperature.

So give tylenol in a dose of 10-15 mg/kg/dose if you notice any rise in temperature above 100 F and observe the baby for her oral acceptance,persistent high grade fever,urinary frequency,excessive irritability or lethargy and appearance of any new symptoms like cough,cold,vomiting or loose stool.If you find any abnormality consult your pediatrician.

Please do ask if you have any more query.
Wish your baby good health.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology