Suggest treatment for fever and cough

Excellent
Question
Hi, my granddaughter ( she is 10 years old) along with 5 kids became sick with a virus in XXXXXXX It took over a week for my granddaughter to get well. But , every couple of weeks, she gets a fever again. Last week she complained that her back was hurting her real bad, the doctor checked her for a UTI and gave her medication.. Everything was good until this morning, she is sick again. She has had blood test and nothing shows up. I suggested that she be checked for Lyme disease (I hope I spelled that right) The doctor doesn't think that that is necessary because there is no evidence of a tick bite. Is there anything else that you think she should be checked for?
Thank you
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be viral fever

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Please tell me some more details like other complaints such as cold, cough associated with fever.
Also send me the reports if you have done like urine test or blood test.

Lyme disease is not the possibility as the there are no symptoms related to this.

Recurrent fevers that occur at irregular intervals have a lengthy differential diagnosis. Infectious causes can include viruses, bacteria, and parasites. Fever without any other sign or symptom is more common with viral infections than with bacterial infections.

The one syndrome considering here, called periodic fever associated with aphthous stomatitis, pharyngitis and cervical adenitis -- or PFAPA -- and is characterized by monthly flare-ups of fever, accompanied by sore throat, swollen glands and mouth lesions.

She needs evaluation like complete blood cell count (CBC) with differential and platelet count, and ESR and C-reactive protein testing. Urine cultures are also useful. If the child appears ill, blood cultures.

Recurrent fevers with no defined underlying cause have a very favorable prognosis.

Happy to help you further.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fever and cough 57 minutes later
Dr. Thank you so much for you answer. Sage has had all the blood test that you have ask me about. She has developed a bad cold last week, but did not have a fever with it. Her fever just came back this morning.

Thanks again for your prompt answer to my question.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wait for the symptoms to appear

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.

I would like to suggest you to wait for 24 to 48 hours to develop some symptoms like cold, cough so that diagnosis can be made.
Otherwise if it is viral, it may be controlled by paracetamol only in 3 to 5 days.
If child is eating well, passing urine adequately there is nothing to worry.
Do follow up with me or see a doctor, if some symptoms started appearing, till then give paracetamol.
Do not worry about recurrent fever if everything (reports) is normal, it will be cleared off as the age advances.

Hope I helped you.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fever and cough 43 minutes later
Thank you so much, you have been of great help to me.
Thanks again

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for appreciating my efforts, happy to help you in future also.
Wish you and your family a great health.