Suggest treatment for fever and chills

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husbnd has been sick for several days. His temp is 100, but he is very cold and shivering. Have place numerous blankets on him, but not helping. What can we do?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
fever and chills occur together, need to cool down, no blankets

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The chills and shivering are in response to the high temperature. High temps cause chills

It is natural for persons to want to cover up with the chills and shivering but this is actually going to raise the body temperature. It unfortunately would increase the problem.

He actually needs to cool down, not warm up.

The many blankets should be removed and he should take paracetamol/tylenol along with the aleve to help with the fever and chills. They can be taken at regular intervals for a 24 hour period.
In addition, cool liquids can be used to help reduce body temp. Tepid sponging/wiping with tepid water not cold water can also help.

When his body temperature goes down, the chills will stop.

If the cause of the fever is not clear eg if there are no cough and cold symptoms , then he should be seen to find out the reason for the fever/chills

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 0 minute later
When will a doctor reply to my question? It has been 15 or twenty minutes.