• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fever after chemotherapy treatment

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Cancer
Question: My son in law is in the hospital getting ready for his first chemo because of stomach cancer which has spread but they dont start chemo for high blood cells and fever and Dr says when fever is gone they can do it why is that ? Can you explain
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can lead to infections

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query. I understand your concerns.

Chemo can lead to drop in body's immunity. So if the body is already harboring an infection, it may flare up badly. Hence it is a common practice to control all infections and then to start the chemo.

And it would not cause any harm just by a few days delay while controlling the infection.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist