• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fever, abdominal pain and diarrhea

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have put my symptoms in to the symptom checker, but not sure you can see them? Twice in last 3 weeks I've had sudden onset mild fever and chills (onset within a couple of hours) then after sleeping that night wake to very "gurgle-ie" stomach, with abdominal pain, no appetite, and diarrhea. I thought the first time it may be food poisoning, but I hadn't eaten anything substantial or that would typically be associated with food poisoning when this came on yesterday. Any thoughts on what it may be?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
most likely it's enteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hey,
Thanks for query.

You are having Gastroenteritis most likely. Gastroenteritis, also commonly referred to as infectious diarrhea, is a gastric disorder. The gastrointestinal tract, which comprises of the small intestine and stomach gets inflamed.

Gastroenteritis is indicated by the symptoms such as diarrhea, acute vomiting, and pain in the abdomen. Fever, exhaustion, and dehydration are also observed. This disease usually lasts not more than two weeks. It is also called the stomach flu. Infections caused by virus, bacteria, parasites or fungi may lead to gastroenteritis. Viruses account for this disease the most. This disease is transmitted mainly through food items and contaminated water. Important electrolytes like sodium and potassium are lost from our body.

The most common remedy in case of gastroenteritis is having plenty of ORS(Oral Rehydration Solution).

Treatment suggested-
Tablet Ofloxacin 200 mg twice daily with Tab Metronidazole 400 mg twice daily for 5 days.
Tab Imodium 4 mg twice daily to stop loose watery stools.
Tablet Dicyclomine 10 mg twice daily.
(Need a prescription)

Drink plenty of electoral solution and juices.

In three days you should feel much better.
Feel free to ask further.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 46 minutes later
Thank you. I also had noticeable dry mouth in the day or so leading up to it each time. Are you able to provide the prescriptions for me for the antibiotics or do I need to consult a local doctor for that?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
I am sorry but providing a prescription is not allowed by HCM management.
However you can contact any normal doctor near you they are general drugs any physician can prescibe them to you.

Dryness is due to fluid loss and electrolyte imbalance once they are replete back to normal levels you would feel normal again.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist