Suggest treatment for feeling of fullness in ear with enlarged nodules on neck

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Fri, 26 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have five distinct symptoms that my doctor cannot diagnose after doing a CT thyroid scan on my neck. Everything appears normal except slightly enlarged nodes on the right side of my neck. The five symptoms are: sensation of swollen glands on both sides of the neck, a sense of fullness in the right ear, the area from the right ear to the neck feels blocked (I would guess this is in the area of the Eustachian tube), ears clicking when I swallow (same sensation as descending from a high altitude to a lower one), and a sense of wobbliness or dizziness with a warm forehead. Any idea what this might be?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your doctor should look for ear first...

Detailed Answer:

I am surprised the doctors are looking first in the neck for symptoms of right ear fullness, clicking, blocked ear and dizziness. CT scan of thyroid and neck produces limited view of ear cavity. Thus it may be insufficient to diagnose an ear condition.

The symptoms (atleast four of them) classically points towards ear pathology with or without nasal and throat condition. The glands may be enlarged secondary to this ear pathology. When I say ear pathology, I am referring to the most common ear inflammatory problems rather than cancer. Depending on duration and progress of symptoms, I would label this as an acute inflammation or a chronic ones.

In my opinion, I think you should ask your current doctor for an ENT referral. If you have already consulted an ENT, can you brief me about the visit.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 13 hours later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX for your detailed answer. I intend to consult an ENT specialist as soon as possible. I think my doctor was focused on my symptom of swollen glands in the neck more than the ear fullness. He would try to feel if any glands were indeed swollen, but he could not verify that. His assistant did clear some ear wax from the right ear, but the symptoms still persisted. Incidentally, these symptoms started in the summer of 2013, mostly low-key until lately when the sensation of unsteadiness, wobbliness, etc. has become more pronounced. I had a neck scan in August 2013 which revealed nothing abnormal (with a different doctor), so this recent scan was my second neck scan. I would assume that this would be defined as a chronic problem rather than an acute one.

Again, thank you for your prompt reply and excellent diagnosis.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be related to ear inflammation...

Detailed Answer:
At this point of time based on new information, I assume the gland enlargements were incidentally picked up. Since they are not visibly seen and clinically felt, I think you should get the ear complaint evaluated. And yes, the ear problem seems like a chronic pathology - inflammatory / non inflammatory. I believe a good physical examination and ENT evaluation should provide directions and how to get this issue of neck glands sorted.

Apologies for the late reply. I wish you good luck with the appointment.

Best Regards