Suggest treatment for feeling of clogging sensation in the ear

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i m feeling a sense of cloggedness in my ear and a sensation of some sticky liquid
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
could be due to excess ear wax

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM,

I have read your query,

Feeling of ear clogging with some sticky fluid could be due to excess ear wax deposition inside ear canal especially if there is no pain in ear. Here,i would think about this possibility first but the clinical inspection of ear canal will confirm it and the possibility of some infection (bacterial or fungal) should also be ruled out.

You may use ear wax remover drop (like Soliwax or Waxsol Ear drops) once daily in both ear.

Put cotton inside ear after the application of wax remover drops.

With 3 or 4 applications of these,you will feel some improvement.

But I will be in favor of one time consultation of ENT specialist for clinical inspection of ear to rule out bacterial or fungal infection.

Dr.Sandip kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 6 hours later
Visited the ent specialist and after examining said there is deposition of wax and some water which is fine because I m a swimmer he gave me drops for infection reduction I guess it's called otocin O and asked me to meet after 4days
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can continue with that

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM,

As we discussed earlier,it is likely due to excess wax deposition and you can continue with Otocin-O ear drops which is a antibiotic drops.

You can ask your ENT specialist to use wax remover drops as I suggested.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 18 hours later
after i put the otocin o eardrops i fely a pain in outer ear and when asked about it to the doctor he asked me to discontinue it and use a much milder norflox ear drops he said that he would have removed the deposition have there not been an infection
Brief Answer:
follow your doctor's instructions.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again,

Since clogging feeling is likely because of excess ear wax deposition and antibiotic ear drops can be used as prophylactic measures.

If you are feeling pain or irritation in ear following application,then it can be discontinued. However,there is no way that I can inspect your ear,so I can not confirm about the infection.

You should follow your doctor's instructions who has seen you. But as I said earlier,you can ask him to use wax remover drops as they do not have any side effects.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad