• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fecal incontinence

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Frequently after I have a bowel movement, especially if it is loose, and I clean up and pull up my trousers and walk a little I feel like there is something wet in my rectal area. I look and there is a wet spot on my boxers and sometimes it goes through to my pants. It appears basically clear and like water. The oriefsther night I had a lot of wetness after I got into bed and had a spot about 4 inches in diameter on my briefs that I sleep in. This was dry and didn't seem to have any oder. I can't figure what is going on. Is it water, mucous, or what is happening and what do I do about it to avoid wearing Depends. I do eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, and green salads. Any advice appreciated. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fecal incontinence

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Based on the description it is evident that you have fecal incontinence. The external anal sphincter contracts as it seals the anal outlet shut tight. If the external anal sphincter is somehow unable to close tightly, there can be oozing or incontinence of fecal matter and probably that is happening in your case. At your age such a thing is not unlikely. However, dealing with such a thing is rather simple. You need to alternately contract and relax your anal sphincter muscles in a manner similar to when you complete evacuating your bowels. Doing this multiple times a day should help in strengthening these muscles and should provide relief.

It is also important to ensure a good fiber intake so that your stool remains soft.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 9 hours later
Dr Saha,
Thank you for your quick reply. I do have a follow-up question. Two summers ago I was found to have colon cancer and in October of 2015 they removed it and reattached the colon in the same surgery. Then I had 6 months of Chemo lasting until March 2016. Would that have any effect on my anal sphincter and be adding to this issue? I have already begin the strengthening exercise this morning. I believe this basically the same thing I would do to strengthen the sphincter that control the flow of urine through the penis.
Any advice appreciated.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The strengthening exercise should help in resolution of the problem.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. The colon cancer and its resection does have a direct or indirect role in the incontinence but that is hardly a cause for concern. You need to to do the sphincter strengthening exercises and indeed it is almost the same as the one for bladder control.

Let me know if I could be of further assistance.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha