• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fecal incontinence

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a problem with soft stool unawares when I pass gas I pass waste also
Answered by Dr. Sunil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
can be fecal incontinence.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
It can be fecal incontinence.Fecal incontinence is the inability to control bowel movements, causing stool to leak unexpectedly from the rectum. Also called bowel incontinence, fecal incontinence ranges from an occasional leakage of stool while passing gas to a complete loss of bowel control.Injury to the nerves that sense stool in the rectum or those that control the anal sphincter can lead to fecal incontinence(as your age is 90 there are chances that nerves are naturally weakened).Second most common cause of bowel incontinence is damage to the muscles around the anus (anal sphincters).Old age causes the muscles to get week.
You are diabetic also.Diabetes causes neuropathy which mean that nerves are damaged and hence unable to perform their functions properly.

Tests recommende are-
Digital rectal exam-gloved and lubricated finger is inserted into your rectum to evaluate the strength of your sphincter muscles and to check for any abnormalities in the rectal area.

Balloon expulsion test. A small balloon is inserted into the rectum and filled with water. You are then asked to go to the toilet and expel the balloon. The length of time it takes to expel the balloon is recorded. A time of one minute or longer is usually considered a sign of a defecation disorder.

Mri of that area to rule out problem with nerve and muscles.
Treatment can be started only when the primary cause is ruled out.However kegl exercises to strengthen the abdomen could be started.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist