Suggest treatment for fecal incontinence

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What causes leakage from retum of clear and waste colored fluid?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fecal incontinence.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
The problem you are having is medically termed as Fecal incontinence.Fecal incontinence is the inability to control bowel movements, causing stool or stool like fluid to leak unexpectedly from the rectum.Most likely cause of fecal incontinence at age of 86 is nerve damage or muscle degeneration.Injury or Natural damage to the nerves that sense stool in the rectum or those that control the anal sphincter can lead to fecal incontinence.Treatment aims at treating the cause of the problem.
I would advice you some basic tests to rule out the cause of incontinence-
Digital rectal exam-Finger will be inserted to evaluate the strength of your anal sphincter muscles and to check for any abnormalities in the rectal area.
Magnetic resonance imaging-To rule out any nerve or muscle damage.
Balloon expulsion test-A water filled balloon is inserted into the rectum.You will be asked to expel the balloon. The time it takes to expel the balloon will be recorded,time of one minute or longer is a sign of a defecation disorder.

Please visit a general surgeon or gastroenterologist and get yourself investigated.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad