Suggest treatment for fecal incontinence

Posted on Wed, 18 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My wife age 57y has c/o unknowingly passing stool in underwear. When she goes for toilet she doesn't not pass stools. What's the cause and treatment.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more information for further comments.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic

It is called fecal incontinence as a description of what your wife is going through.

There are many potential causes of fecal incontinence, including:

(1) diarrhea: due to different causes (viral or bacterial infection, irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease) results in fecal incontinence.

(2) nerve related issues- any damage to the nerves that supply the anus can cause fecal incontinence- like in diabetes, damage to the nerves in the spine, multiple sclerosis

(3) damage to the anal sphincters- this is a group of muscles at the anus that normally prevents stools from leaking.

(4) Impacted feces- if there is a history of constipation and feces is impacted in the colon, then there is leakage of watery stool around this hard stool

(5) Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis)

However,in order to help her better, I will need some more information,

1. Does it leak when she pass gas or it passes on its own?

2. Does it happen after a bout of cough or laughter?

3. Are stools water and less formed?

4. Are there any other bowel symptoms like pain abdomen or so ?

5. Is there any history of abdominal surgery or a prolapsed uterus?

6. Since how many days she is having this problem?

Please get back to me with these answers,I will wait for your reply.

Dr.Sandip
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Sandip Kabra