Suggest treatment for fecal impaction and difficulty in urination

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have an impacted stool and am unable to urinate. Never had this before, but feel need to pass large stool and it won't pass.worse, have to urinate badly but it won't come out. I am 68 year old male, and have had problems urinating if I have to pass a stool, but it has never been a problem before because I can urinate once I've finished defecating. It is late at night, I don't think any stores are open but I am very uncomfortable. Tried manually removing stool but can't reach it. How do I decide if it is bad enough to go to hospital? What home remedies can help that I could find?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Drink water, teas, and eat fruits and vegetables (rich in fibers)

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

If you haven't passed the stool for 3-5 days, that is the time to go to the hospital. But if you are not able to pass urine for 24 hours, then go early to the ER.
Meanwhile, your diet and drinking plenty of fluids it is very important.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. You will need a lot of fibers during these days. Kiwi, apples, lettuce, ect.
- For tonight try to drink as many water as possible. There are also some teas that will promote stool loosening, so you can drink them if you have any at home tonight.
- If you have pain which is increasing and start having nausea, then you should go as soon as possible.
- Also you need to rule out why are you having these problem. You may have a prostate enlargement, or also any other cause that is blocking the normal stool movement.
- Tomorrow, when the local pharmacy or stores are open consider buying psyllium, which is pure fiber and will help you defecate more easily.
- In the local pharmacy you can find microclisma which will make you defecate immediately and empty the bowel but depends if you can buy them without a prescription in your country or not.
- If you haven't done a colonoscopy in the last 10 year, I would recommend that you consider it too.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana