Suggest treatment for fecal body odor and diarrhea while treating helicobacter pylori

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am 27 yr old male, 5'7 160lbs. I had helicobacter hylori for over a year and didn't know what the problem was until test for it in August 2014. Now that I've erriadicated it in one try I am still have fecal body odor. I work outside and it makes the odor way worse. It had been eight months and still I'm smelling like shit everyday, I am hating myself and life at this time. My gastrologist doctor has done much searching but doesn't find much. I have since been Dx with gerds, and have a allkey stomach with inflamation, I am taking 40mg pantrolozole daily. I also take bismuth sulfate for diarrhea whitch is getting better in the past week. I may need suggestions on what to do or ask my GI and find a answer to how can I keep myself/colon, from emmiting shit, hot shit smells. It exhausting and I want to get back to life as it is supposed to be for people.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial infection of intestines.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

First of all I need you to know something about Helicobacter Pylori. Please note that the infection presence does not mean that it causes any problems. There is a lot of people who have this infection and do not even notice it.
And for sure it does not give any stool problems or bad smelling stools. What H.Pylori can cause is upper middle abdominal pain and some nausea. No diarrhea at all.
As you have been treated with antibiotics and you do take antiacids, for sure your problem is caused by bacterial infection of your gastrointestinal tract (intestines). Both antibiotic and antiacids are single strong factor of such infection.
You could find out how antibiotic work on intestines when you have gotten C.Difficile infection. I`m pretty sure there is something more in your intestines (some other bacteria).

Here is what you should do:
- have stool culture test done (even if it was done before)
- discuss with your doctor Rifaximine treatment
- start probiotic intake
- consider decreasing dosage of Pantoprazole

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon