Suggest treatment for febrile seizures in child since birth

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: My grandson, 6 years old, has had 3 or 4 febrile seizures since birth. The first was around the age one and a half years, and the last on 25 April 2015. The last one which I saw myself lasted less than 2 min. He is a smart and active boy and showed outstanding performance in pre-primary school. We have conducted EEG and MRI in the last few days and it was normal. The doctor has prescribed valparin syrup 5ml x twice a day for a month, and frisium 5 mg if there is fever.

My question is:
Will valparin be a source of anxiety for us? Should we plan to travel with him or not? Are outdoor activities to be reduced or stopped?

And what precautions should we take in future, esp in his social activities?

Ashu2000, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There seems to be less cause to worry about.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details provided. The information that you have not provided is whether the child had fever during or around the time that the convulsions occurred. Convulsions in children is different from that in adults. In children the requirement of anticonvulsants like valparin is much lesser. If EEG and MRI are normal, there seems to be less to worry about. In such a case:
* Give valparin as directed. It is unlikely to become a cause for anxiety for you. You can travel with him or can let him out outdoors but not unsupervised. This is because, in case he again gets a convulsion and he is in some risky and unprotected condition (like crossing the road when it comes), serious injuries could result. Otherwise, you need not worry.
* All you need to do is to keep him supervised. In case he gets fever, be sure to apply tepid sponging and give paracetamol to reduce fever. High fever can precipitate febrile convulsions and hence needs to be avoided. Frisium would help. No other precaution suggested.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for your prompt reply. It helps to reassure us. Here are a few more inputs and questions:
1. Yes, he did get fever every time. The funny thing was, the last time he did not feel warm to my hands when it actually happened, but the fever XXXXXXX and was quite hot a little later. When we took him to clinic after 15-20 minutes of sponging, Dr said the fever was about 103 deg F.

2. If this is febrile seizure, and is different from epilepsy, why are anti-epilepsy drugs like frisium and valparin being prescribed?

3. Will it ultimately get completely cured and will he lead an unrestricted adult life? By when?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Febrile convulsion is less concerning and very different from epilepsy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
1. Indeed, febrile convulsion is very different from epilepsy. Often temperature might rise even though it might not be felt by touching. This happens when the core temperature of the body rises but the external blood vessels are collapsed hence not reflecting the actual temperature.
2. Frisium prevents febrile convulsions from occurring. Valparin reduces the overall probability of convulsions occurring. These need to be given for a few months.
3. Generally febrile convulsions do not persist till adulthood. Most children grow out of this in a few years. So you need not worry.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician