• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fear of being touched

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I've have notice over the years my nerves have gotten shorter. I don't like anyone touching me, not even my young kids or husband. When I hear my kids wine or yell or any loud noise I feel like I'm crawling out of my skin. I am truly only at peace when I do my work..., I'm an embalmer. I was given a prescription of 1 mg of Ativan and it worked great but I used it very sparingly since I only had a very small amount about three months worth but I made it last a year . What should I do
Thank you for your reply I have to say that I've always had an thing with people touch me getting close to me or anything but I feel the most comfortable when I'm working like I said I am the embalmer. a lot of my anxiety has come since my daughter was born she is seven years old now and we are dealing with Behavior and mental issues with violence and threats of suicide. It just feels like 24 seven My skin is crawlin. The medicine Ativanworked great but like I said it was only a three month prescription and I'm scared to ask for because it is a controlled substance. 1mg worked great at night to slow down my brain, but to much for the day. I have been on Prozac and Zoloft they both did not work due to adverse side effects . I do have a Dr. pointman with the psychiatrist this week . I just did not want to seem needy .
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
It sounds to me like you may have an unspecified anxiety disorder, possibly generalized anxiety disorder, or possibly simply situational anxiety. There are a couple ways this can be treated. First is with a Benzodiazepine such as Ativan or Klonopin.

It seems like this has worked well for you, and as long as you use them sparingly, they are a great treatment for anxiety. Another options is cognitive behavioral therapy, which is a psychotherapy focused on managing anxiety, and it is equally effective as medication.

I would look for a psychiatrist in your area who can prescribe either or both of these. I also offer text-based CBT on this website at my private link below if you are interested.
It is not unreasonable at all to request Ativan. You're not using much, it works for you, and even though it's a controlled substance it's very effective. I would certainly ask your doctor at your upcoming appointment!

Please remember to rate and close this answer when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist