Suggest treatment for fatty liver

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: i have got grade 1 fatty liver (usg) --- sgpt-55, fibroscan reading median stiffness 5.6 kpa. my doctor advised me to take ursocol 300 for 1 month after that he stopped ursocol 300 and gave me evion 400. is 1 month of ursocol 300 enough? now my sgpt reading is 38. It has been 2 months since I started medication, I still feel heavyness in my liver. what is your advice.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fatty liver is a not alarming finding.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

If your SGPT has come down to 38 then there is no need to take further ursocol.However you may continue with evion as prescribed which is vitamin E and good for liver.

Also, I would like to say that fatty liver (especially if it is grade-I) is not alarming finding. It indicates fatty tissue deposition on the liver like in people,who have fatty or pendulous abdomen. Therefore I wouldn't be personally worried about this finding.

Generally, fatty liver condition is a kind of obesity. And it is completely reversible in the initial stages especially, by following below mentioned corrective measures.

1) do regular exercise or brisk walk at least 30 minutes per day

2) Cessation of alcohol intake (if you are alcoholic)

3) Avoid junk foods and fast foods,

4) Take low fat and high protein diet (Veg- Pulses, soya bean)

5) Take more fresh fruits and vegetables.

Although there is no such a time limit on when to have a repeat ultrasound scan but it can be repeated after 3 months following above corrective measures to check the liver status.Heaviness in liver will be subsided once you will star reducing fatty deposition in liver.So,no need to bother much about it.

Hope this information will help you.

Dr.sandipkabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T