Suggest treatment for fatty liver

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
My sgot 27 and sgpt 37. Normal lipid profile except triglerides 210 GGT 32. Albumin 3.6 and globumin 2.1 . I'm alcoholic. Bilrubin 1.2 . pls advice. Done ultrasound fatty liver. 15.85

Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please decrease fatty foods and alcohol intake

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Your SGPT and SGOT levels are normal. GGT is also normal. Serum albumin and globulin are also normal. Bilirubin is at upper limits of normal.

The triglycerides at 210 are mildly elevated and may be due to increased intake of fatty and oily foods. Further elevated levels can increase the risk of heart disease later in life.

The presence of fatty liver (?measuring 15.85 cms) indicates early changes in the liver probably due to alcohol intake. It is important you cut down on alcohol intake as you have mentioned that your alcohol consumption has been regular. Right now if you control alcohol, the liver changes will reverse and get back to normal in a few months. If you do not stop alcohol consumption then the liver function will get affected and in few years time it can get irreversible.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fatty liver 17 minutes later
My stool color some days is light color like pale yellow white. Ultrasound looks normal except fatty changes. Pls advice bring normal color stool.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol intake causes pale stools

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

The stools get their yellow colour from the bile salts released into the intestines by the liver. When the bile salts are not released properly due to infections or block in passages, the stools turn pale yellow in colour.

In your condition, there may be reduced release of bile salts due to alcoholic hepatitis (even if the SGOT and SGPT are normal) and this might be causing pale stools. You need to stop alcohol intake completely at the moment so that the changes due to alcohol intake can be reversed. Please eat healthy nutritious diet including lots of green leafy vegetables cooked in less oil.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek